Monday, October 29, 2012

The Caretaker

Last week something happened here that I've been trying to write about but can never find the right words. I've written at least three drafts and every one of them wound up in the trash. I write, stop, walk around, write, stop, walk around, and on, and on, and on. I'm trying really hard to tell the story in a way that will help you experience the emotion we experienced, but I've come to realize that can't happen. It was a moment in time that can't be recreated, only told, only described.

This is the fourth draft. Let's see if it makes the cut.

It happened during "Closing Circle." You may remember this is the little thing we do at the end of a 3-day Basic Seminar. We sit in a circle with the students and pass a plastic green key, and whoever holds the key gets to say whatever is on his or her mind about the 3-day seminar.

I started us off and we went counter-clockwise. I made some remarks about what a great group of beautiful young people they are, complimented their English skills, they're attentiveness, you know, blah, blah, blah, blah, boring. It was probably the weakest job I've ever done in Closing Circle.

Sitting about 5 or 6 to my right was a young man named Dima (pronounced Dee-mah). Dima is a tall, sinewy, good looking kid of 19 years. I am told that every young man must complete one year of military service in the Russian Federation, and Dima completed his year before entering the university but has plans to go back into the military after graduation and be a career officer. He earned his jump wings, which is the equivalent of being in the U.S. Army Airborne division. While in the miltary Dima excelled in courage and bravery receiving many commendations, one being a wrist watch presented to him by his commanding officer. During a party we had Wednesday night, I told him I am a veteran of the U.S. military and we immediately had a connection - this young Russian university student/paratrooper sitting with an old American man talking military. He was fascinated with some of my stories, and I with his.

When the green key was handed to Dima he said that he had very serious comments to make and wanted to go last, so we obliged him.

The key passed from student to student and ended with me. I gave the key to Dima and he shuffled in his chair then sat up very straight, very confident, and began to speak very direct. Something interesting was about to happen, because his fellow students were shaking their heads "No" to him, but he plowed ahead without hesitation. Whatever he was about to say, he had firmly made up his mind and no one was going to make him do different.

Dima looked at everyone, but particularly the Americans in the room, and said that when he went into the military he trained as if America was the enemy. But Dima then went on to say after sitting through our 3-day seminar his attitude changed completely. Our words to him and all the other students on honesty, trustworthiness, responsibility, respect, caring, courage, fairness, and hope gave him a different belief about America and Americans.

Dima then locked his eyes on me. He said that because his heart changed and he now considers Americans his friends, he wanted to give me something. Then he stood up, rolled up his sleeve, and took off the watch his commanding officer had given him for bravery and said, "Mike, I want you to have this watch, soldier to soldier." I lowered my head because my eyes teared up, as had everyone else in the room.

Dima walked over to me and I stood up. He wrapped his arms around me, this young Russian soldier/student. He is strong and very nearly squeezed the breath out of me because of his emotions. He gave me the watch and I was at a complete loss for words, but I did say thank you to him over, and over, and over again. I could not refuse to take it. I told him that I would cherish the watch and take care of it. He asked me to wear it, but yesterday was the first day I did so. I don't feel right wearing an award granted to someone else, especially an award for bravey given to a soldier.

I am not the hero in this story. You want to know who the real heroes are? This is Julie and Rachael's first trip to Russia, and they've made more of a difference in some lives here than I have in my previous 5 trips combined - they've really, really bonded with some girls here in a way us old guys never could or can. Rick has changed the lives of people here in ways immeasurable. The kids here look at David and hang on his every word and respect and love him dearly. And John? Well, John can't walk anywhere in Volgograd without a bunch of kids running up and hugging his neck. The love and attention and counsel he gives everyone here is stunning. It is not necessarily Americans helping Russians. In many, many ways, it is Russians helping Americans be better people. It is relationship evangelism. It is always salt and light.

Last night I had dinner with in Kate and Andrew's new apartment (very nice home!). I talked with Sergey and Galina, Kate's parents, about all this and sought their counsel. Both of them told me to keep the watch because it was a honor for Dima to give it, and it is an honor for me to receive it. Sergey and Galina were very emphatic about it.

So I've decided to keep the watch...for now. I'll keep it on behalf of all the American trainers - Julie, Rachael, David, Rick, John, and me.

Someday Dima will be married and have children, perhaps a son. I think Dima may want that watch back to give it to his son. So I look at myself as the caretaker of a very fine Russian military watch awarded to a very fine Russian soldier for his bravery.

One day I'll make my last trip to Volgograd, Russia. One day I will leave and never return. One day I'll be very old and not be able to come back to this most beautiful place to be with these most beautiful people. On that final day here the watch will stay here. Who knows, perhaps I'll be fortunate enough to give it back to Dima in front of his children.

When Dima walked through the door of the university last Tuesday he was one kind of person, but when he left the university on Thursday, Dima was a very different person. So was I.

We send our love from Russia.

Please don't forget about us.

Salt and light.

For the Team,

Mike

Photo by Rachael Wise (http://rachaelwisephotography.com/)


1 comment:

  1. Wow! Thank you for persevering and telling the story.

    God, thank YOU for working in these lives for Your purposes. What beautiful things You've had planned all along. Amen.

    ReplyDelete