I have the best view. We're in a corner booth, floor to ceiling glass, and the cafe sits in the middle of Lenin Prospekt which is a four lane street divided by a very wide (over 100 feet) path for walking. Rick calls it a boulevard which it may just be. This path is adorned with flowers (nearly gone because of the Russian winter knocking at the door), trees, shrubs, statues, fountains, and the occasional cafe.
The weather outside is gorgeous. Not a cloud in the sky and the temperature is very pleasant. A bit of breeze in the air. Similar to Abilene, it's always a bit breezy here. We think it's going to be a warm day, so we ignored the long sleeve shirt in lieu of short sleeve shirt which is a dead giveaway that we're Yanks.
People are walking by on both sides, hurrying to work, hurrying to the university, hurrying to the bank, the supermarket, other places I'll never know. Some are alone, some are with friends, some are mothers with small children in tow. Some are talking on cell phones as they walk. One guy just walked by holding an umbrella...wishful thinking. One lady just walked by walking a small black dachshund. The dog is old and moving slowly. Some are walking and holding shopping bags. Some have purses. Some are looking down, some are looking up and straight ahead. All are thinking about something. I wonder what.
The music playing in the background is in English. A female singing classic rock but very jazz. We've heard Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen, now it's Imagine by John Lennon. Rick and I both agree it's very, very cool.
A bread truck just pulled up and the driver got out and opened doors to reveal rows, and rows, and rows of freshly baked bread. I bet it's still warm. I bet it smells divine. He pulled a wooden tray of bread out that was about 3 feet long, maybe half a foot wide. He walked to this cafe we're in and knocked on a side door. It opens and he walks in to make his morning delivery. Two minutes later he walked back to the truck and he's off for the next delivery. Oh wait. He's not. He gets a piece of paper out of the truck and walks back to that side door and inside. Must be the invoice. Another two minutes and he's back in his truck and off to who knows where.
Our order arrives. Rick is having a plain omelette and porridge (oatmeal with fruit and honey). I had a omelette with sweet peppers (bell pepper). It was served with carrots and broccoli and both were so very good. The vegetables here taste awesome.
Rick and I polish off breakfast then have a conversation that was deep. Creation. Faith. Should I try to prove the authenticity of the Bible and Christ's life, or should I teach faith alone? Why pray? What's the difference between values, morals, and ethics (we've been having this discussion for many years - every time we come here to teach character).
The waitress comes over to clean off our table. She's dressed a bit for haloween with a spider in her hair. She's about 20 years old. She starts to fold and remove the paper placemat on the table and before she lifts it up I put my hand on it and stop her. She looks at me and I have a ear to ear grin. She giggles and smiles and then walks away.
Now it's a Coldplay song (When I Ruled the World).
A lady walks by pushing a stroller. A policeman walks by looking serious. A man walking across the street trips on the curb and nearly does a face plant. A lady walks by carrying flowers. A lady walks by with a poodle on a leash.
I just saw one of our students walk by. His name is Bogdan. He spent a year in South Dakota when he was a freshman in high school. He's a really good, good kid. He was involved in track when in South Dakota and said he set the high school record for the 400 meter race. Not bad!
Black jacket. Black jacket. Black jacket. Orange jacket! Pink boots!
Now it's U2 (With or Without You).
Just another day in Volgograd, Russia.
Salt and light.
For the Team.
Mike

No comments:
Post a Comment